🚗 TRANSPORTATION: Ford might experience delays with manufacturing electric vehicles — specifically its battery-electric F-150 which is slated for release in 2022 — due to a legal battle between two South Korean EV battery makers, reports Fortune.
- LG Chem claims SK Innovation conducted patent infringement and poached dozens of employees to gain trade secrets.
- LG Chem contacted the U.S. International Trade Commission about the matter this spring, and the ITC preliminarily ruled in its favor. The ITC barred SKI from importing materials for making batteries in the U.S. A final ruling is expected this fall.
- Ford, which had agreed to purchase batteries from SKI for the electric F-150, has petitioned for a reversal and said it would be nearly impossible to switch battery suppliers because of the technology’s proprietary nature, The Detroit Bureau reports. It also warned that the ruling could negatively affect the 300 jobs in Dearborn, as well as others in its supply base and dealer network.
🌞 SOLAR: An Eau Claire, Wisconsin, artist’s new company, Solar Forma Design, combines artistic metalworking with solar technologies to create artful solar-generating sculptures, reports VolumeOne. The business aims to inspire communities across the globe to make solar investments in artful and beautiful ways.
***SPONSORED LINK: The Midwest Building Decarbonization Coalition is hiring a Manager of Community Engagement and Equity. Join the team to play a leadership role in developing an equitable and diverse Midwestern coalition to advance affordable homes and businesses that are free of climate change-causing air pollution.***
- Lightship Capital in Cincinnati is opening an office in the Indianapolis area to provide opportunities for Midwest startups run by underrepresented entrepreneurs, including women, people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, and people in the LGBTQ+ community, reports the Indianapolis Business Journal.
- WisconsinInno profiled Green Bay, Wisconsin’s TitletownTech venture fund and described its successes one year after launch.
***SPONSORED LINK: The Cleanie Awards — the #1 awards program in clean technology — is now accepting applications! Submit to win, or contact us with any questions. Applications close July 30.***
💻 VIRTUAL EVENT: National Clean Energy Week will take place September 21-25. By going virtual this year, the symposium’s programming is available to attendees across the country who are interested in advancing the discussion about clean energy innovation and technologies.
Connect with Centered on LinkedIn and Twitter @centereddottech, or send news tips, press releases, and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Centered is your cleantech news source for the Midwest
Subscribe to receive free weekday news updates